Getting up early has never been an easy thing for me, I'm not a natural morning person but over the years and with kids that get up everyday like they have little alarm clocks in their heads, the meaning of sleeping in eludes them completely. I have adapted and learned how to get up. Even though some mornings it's still very much a challenge for me to crawl out of my warm comfy bed I know my day will flow better and I will be better if I do. What I have found though is by doing this and carving out that space for me during the quiet time before the chaotic morning rush I am more grounded, calmer and centered even if it's just for that time, it helps set the tone and energy for the day. In my experience I have found that by setting up a simple morning ritual it gets your day started out grounded, allows you to set your intentions for the day and how you want to feel for the day. All while being relaxed and giving yourself some me time and some quiet space, which in our busy, busy world is usually much needed! Some super simple and effective ways to do this are:
1. Give yourself time. Wake up a bit earlier to give yourself time to create space and a routine for you before the busyness of the day starts.
2. Move Your Body. Moving and using your body starts to get the energy moving and wakes it up. You don't have to do a full out workout or anything crazy, do anything that feels good to you and feel free to change it. Some days it might be some gentle yoga, others an early morning walk or run. My personal fav is some gentle stretching and mini yoga session.
3. Drink water. Hydrate your body in the morning. Let the first thing that enters your body each day be water, warm with lemon for and extra boost. It gently wakes up your digestion, helps start the detoxing process and hydrates your body. I personally drink a cup of hot lemon water with a pinch of cayenne first thing. So delicious! Not only is this so good for your body and easy but a great way to get your daily amount of water started before your day has even started. Flow this by enjoying your smoothie, green juice or breakfast.
4. Nourish Yourself. Make time to nourish your body, no matter how busy you think you are. You have time to make a nutrient packed delicious smoothie or grab some fresh fruit, nuts and seeds. Make some oatmeal (do this the night before to save time in the morning) or have some yogurt and granola. Make time for breakfast - your body and energy throughout the day will thank you. Don't skip "breaking the fast"!
5. Read or Meditate. Don't reach for your phone first thing and get sucked into your busy day before you've had anytime to even wake up fully! My only exception for this is if you listen to a guided meditation but other than that wait til after your routine make this your sacred morning time and space for you. It's important to set our intention for the day and fill our minds with positive nourishing info, not emails, social media or news. Our minds first thing in the morning are like little soft sponges letting things flow into and out of with ease. So let's fill them with affirmations, inspiring books and calm to help us reach our intention and desired energy for the day!
6. Shower and wash up. A shower morning not only wakes you up from dreamland but also washes away yesterday and the nights energy. Leaving you ready and refreshed for a new day. Water is therapeutic washing away not just physical dirt and toxins but emotional ones as well. Cleaning you body, mind and soul. So get up and savour your shower, take the time to be present for that moment of your day feeling the water on your skin, washing the old away and leaving you renewed and refreshed ready for the day ahead.
7. Give yourself some love. You got up, got ready, spent time on looking after you. Now take a look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself how amazing and beautiful you are. You are stunning and gorgeous. Give yourself a smile and say I love you.
Now get out there and shine bright the rest of the day.
I'd love to hear about your own morning ritual, what do you do to nourish yourself body, mind and soul and greet the new day?